The Budget, set out by Conservative Chancellor and North West MP George Osborne, includes a £270m guarantee for the Mersey Gateway bridge. There is also help for Liverpool John Lennon Airport, with plans outlined for start-up support for new routes which will help Liverpool's businesses enter into future markets. The Chancellor also stated that he is determined to see that the region benefits from high speed rail and wants it to go further North faster.
The City of Liverpool Conservatives also welcomes the announcement that £200m is being made available for local authorities to bid for to repair pot-holes in their areas. Our Local Conservative teams across the City have been campaigning for more to be done on this issue for many years, and last year submitted a petition to the Council from hundreds of local people wanting action. We hope the Labour Council makes full use of this opportunity from the Conservatives in Government.
The 2014 Budget continues our long-term economic plan to give financial security to Britain’s hardworking families.
The Budget helps people who work hard and do the right thing by:
- Cutting income tax for over 25 million people – so low- and middle-earners have more money in their pocket and more security
- Giving pensioners more freedom and flexibility over their pensions – so they can enjoy peace of mind and security in retirement
- Cutting taxes on savings to support people who do the right thing - and help them provide for their family’s future
- Supporting manufacturing and backing business by cutting energy bills and increasing investment
- Cutting the bingo tax and taking a penny off the price of a pint – to protect communities and local jobs
- Building more homes and extending the Help to Buy scheme – to help hardworking people achieve their dream of buying their own home
The 2014 budget has hardworking people at its heart – and continues our long-term economic plan to build a stronger, more competitive economy.
The biggest risk to the economy is Labour’s demands for more borrowing, more spending and more taxes – for which hardworking people would pay.
Only the Conservatives have a long-term economic plan for a stronger economy and a better future.
The Chancellor's full speech can be read here: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/chancellor-george-osbornes-budget-2014-speech